Saturday, February 2, 2013

Inspire Change: Wellness Words Jewelry Challenge

At the beginning of a new year, some bloggers adopt a word to inspire them for the year.  (You can see my word here and here.)

This year, Tracy Statler from Make Bracelets! posed a jewelry challenge:  choose an inspiration word or phrase and make a piece of jewelry using that word/phrase.

My word for the year is "will."  I chose it to remind myself that I have the power to make my goals happen.

One of my goals this year is to move away from patterns and work with my own ideas.  This challenge was a great place to start.

I wanted to make something I could see -- a constant reminder of my goals. To that end, I decided on a ring.  I was inspired by the idea of spinner rings, rings which have an inside base and an outside layer which spins.

I started beading a quick peyote ring in my favorite color of seed beads.


Then I stamped my word on a length of copper sheet.  I textured and aged the copper and formed it around the peyote ring.


I decided against letting the copper spin because I had this great idea for the back of the ring.


I am so happy with how this came out.  The copper adds a definite weight to the ring that a typical beaded ring does not have.


Tracy, thank you so much for starting this challenge.  It was a blast.

Please check out all the other participants to see their inspirational jewelry.

pixiloo.blogspot.com - you are here 

25 comments:

  1. Tanya, I love everything about your ring! I've never seen anything like it - the addition of the stamped metal really rocks! And the stitching - what a great detail. I made one seedbead project in my entire life, and it was a peyote stitch ring. I really treasure it because I know I can never replicate it again! :-) I think you'd do a fantastic business with custom orders for rings like these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tanya - you have combined your beautiful stitching in one of the most unique ways that I have ever seen! This is truly a One of A Kind Piece of Art! And there is nothing like have your WORD as a little reminder every day, right on your finger! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanya, this is truly unique and so very strong and beautiful! You put a lot of thought and detail into this stunner. I cannot wait to see where you go this year with your original designs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great idea combining the beaded ring with the copper! It's beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful ring! and a very powerful word choice. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tanya I am so glad you did a ring. I simply forgot to list it as an option because I don't really make them! It's so pretty and unique - and a great way to always see your word. The corset tie on the copper is awesome. Thanks so much for joining me in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one cool ring for sure!! Love this design,...it's truly one of a kind and your word is so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The 1st ring I've seen on the challenge, love how you've beaded it, all very original.
    Like Tracy, I like the ties too.

    ** Kate **

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great ring! it is strong, and portrays WILL for you .... but looks relaxed and comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice creation! May all your dreams come true.

    fairiesmarket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your design! Beading is something I want to do more of in my own jewelry designs. This challenge was wonderful, I have enjoyed seeing everyone's work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a beautiful beaded design, a lovely wearable ring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tanya, what a beautiful ring. I can't wait to see where you go from here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my gosh, your ring is so cool! I have never seen anything like this! How cool! Beautiful work! Wishing you the best with your word, will!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tanya - this is so amazingly cool and creative and spectacular and wow! I don't have enough words for this. You are always blowing me away with your creative ingenuity!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your word and I totally agree with your design idea for the lacing on the back of the ring. It is very cool ( although I think spinner rings are pretty cool too)
    Best. Lisa
    http://lisayangjewelry.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOWZA! Your ring is gorgeous! Beautiful, beautiful work. I would love a ring like that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great design - very unique with the seedbead base and copper over.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is so beautiful! I just love the back too! I know I would be moving that all the time I would not be able to ignore my word with it in that form. Great thinking. I just love that first photo too, so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  20. THAT is simply amazing. Innovative, creative, and beautiful. You really, really need to send that design in to Belle Armoire Jewelry or the like!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How incredibly clever this is! I would never in a million years think of something like this. You have a great start on your goal for the year and I am so happy to be a witness to your success! Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your ring is beautiful! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a cool ring! And I love your choice of word for the year too!

    ReplyDelete